Monday, May 4, 2009

A new name and a change of locale

Things are looking up out here in the god forsaken bay state. I have changed the blog description to rolling the hard six, well because It's time to take chances, and I'm a nerd. Captain Adama said it on BSG and I love that show. Also I have been working one not being so timid, and just moving towards what I want. I still have many miles to go, but it is coming along.

With school over and summer right around the corner, I am looking forward to reading, drinking coffee and lazing about. On the horizon is a possible new job at this shop called cafe fixe. The place is really top notch. Pour-over drip coffee to order, high quality espresso, and a beautiful veloce mirage . They currently serve Barrington coffees, which is a really high quality roaster. Barrington does a lot of direct business with farms throughout the world, paying high prices to ensure high quality and fair wages to farm workers. A cafe like that is exactly where I want to be. A place where I can take what I already know, which is not a whole lot mind you, and expand my knowledge, my palette and my experience.

My cafe now is not exactly a terrible cafe, but I have gone beyond the point of where I can learn anything more about coffee and be open to new opportunities in the coffee industry. The owner of L'aroma is a callous man who is a control freak and an untrusting man. He treats his employees like shit and expects us to bend over backwards for asshole customers who also treat us like shit. The only reason that I stay for now is my co-workers and I love making coffee, even if it is subpar compared to what other shops are doing. We all put in an inordinate amount of hard work making that place function, and their is very little incentive to do what we do, so must of us just go through the motions until something better rears its head.

I am just not really that enthusiastic about pouring 20 oz. maple spice lattes for the eurotrash crowd on Newbury street. i don't mind that people don't know anything about coffee, I am willing to share what I do to make your coffee experience as eye opening as possible with the beans I have to work with. but frankly, it is hard to see what the fucking point is, when someone sees a macchiato on the board and asks if they can have it iced and with caramel...ugh. I continue to work at my shop because I love coffee and am dedicated to coffee, not people. I am just holding out for the new place, and working on my pouring technique, my tamping technique, refining my palette and expanding my knowledge of coffee. I am a long way from anything like this, but that is something to aspire to.

In a couple weeks I will make my way to New York for the NYC popfest and some espresso tourism. should be a good time. That's all I've got for now.

hearts and daggers,

Scot

No comments: